-->

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Independence

I've decided that independence is a contingent freedom.... based on the potential level of stress inflicted on yours truely, me!

Examples:

Good Independence: Kamren should use the potty by himself, use his stepping stool to wash and dry his hands. (Not having to help him, less stress for me!)

Unacceptable Independence: Kamren pushing his stepping stool to the cupboard to get himself some fruit snacks. (Then he doesn't want to eat lunch or dinner... added frustration for me.)

Good Independence: Kamren getting his own spoon, cereal, & bowl (less work for me! Thumbs Up!)

Unacceptable Independence: Kamren getting his own milk from the fridge and trying to pour it himself (big mess to clean up, more stress for me. Thumbs down.)

Good Independence: Kamren hanging up his own coat and putting his shoes away (less work for me! Two thumbs up!)

Unacceptable Independence: Kamren getting his own socks (the dresser tips over, and that's not fun for anyone!)

Get it? The list goes on, this is just the tip of the iceberg. You wait so long for them to be able to do things on their own, they start crawling, and the rest of the time is spent trying to get them to sit still and stay out of things.

But, I love my little red headed curious boy more than anything!

1 comments:

Nicole said...

Agreed, I know what you are saying!