-->

Friday, December 12, 2008

Let me JUMP on the Band Wagon......

*edited to add: Yes, I'm aware that I had two typos on my post. I had them fixed prior to this being pointed out. And, all I have to say is I don't make money writing this nor do I do this for a living so I stand by my disappointment in the editing of the books. By the way, done with Breaking Dawn and found two typos in it too!
So, at work, one of the youth read Twilight the ENTIRE series 4 FOUR 4 times while she was here. (The youth are only in my program for a maximum of 45 days mind you) So, after the 6 hour ride to and from Moab with her to court I started to get a little curious what the hype was really all about.

I told Michael I wasn't sure if I would really read the books because 1. I didn't want to get swooned and fall madly in love with a TEENAGE vampire (which seems to be a common theme for readers) and 2. With everything I have going on I didn't know if I could take the time to read the whole series if I got caught up in it.

Well, again while at work, I was sitting in the classroom and noticed it on the library shelf and decided to skim it over...... that was last Wednesday and, a week later, here I am done with the 3rd book ready to start the 4th and I've seen the movie. Last week was finals even!

So, here's my citique. I LOVE the books, they're such an easy read and they captivated my attention the entire time! I can tell how the author started to educate herself more on the terms and myths of vampires though as the first book progressed, but it is still a good read. I will continue with the 4th book and shouldn't have a problem having it finished before next semester starts (since it's 3 weeks away). I am disappointed that I found 1 typo in the first book, 4 in the second and 7 in the third! Come on people do your job!

The movie on the other hand.... AWEFUL, I don't have anything good to say about it and words cannot describe my distaste for it. The dialogue was cheesy and so misplaced in relation to character development and the overall plot of the story. The characters personalities were nothing like they were described in the book and the simpilist of details were overlooked! I can safely assume that no one actually read the books out of everyone involved with the production of the movie (except maybe the screenwriter, in which case I don't think she/he paid attention.) And, I think they've set themselves up for some diffuculties with the sequels because they missied so much of the details. Like, how are they going to fit a king sized bed in the lame excuse for a bedroom they gave Edward.

I am not swooned over the teenage vampire though, Thank Heaven. I am actually a little disturbed by the adult women who do swoon over him. He's a TEENAGER! Fictional or not. A TEENAGER! I just can't let myself go there!


8 comments:

Aaron and Elizabeth Jensen said...

Oh no.... oh no.... My ever so wise sister in depths of *whispers* Twilight.... You know, the night I went to see the new James Bond movie was the same night that Twilight was premiering. I saw this huge line that extended clear to the back end of the parking lot and thought, oh boy the Bond movie must be great. And then I saw the majority were teenage girls. Sorry that was an understatement. I don't know if I have anything left so say other than... Twilight?

Aaron

things we love... said...

LAUGHING OUT LOUD........HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!! I also started late reading them, but I flew through the first 2 and can't get myself to finish the 3rd. Hopefully over Christmas I can finish it!!! I haven't seen the movie yet though, curiosity was getting the best of me, maybe until now that is! Also I agree COMPLETELY about Edward!!!!!!!!

Behling Family said...

And for this very reason I still have not seen the movie. I too have read the first three books and an working on the forth. I cannot bring myself to watch it, because I was afraid of being so dissapointed. I was right!!! Thanks for the warning.

RoseAnna said...

I'm so glad that you actucally liked the books!! I didn't think you would. I am so sorry that you couldn't enjoy the movie. I thought it was pretty well done, in fact I would say that I really liked it. Everyone that I heard that didn't like it had just recently read the books or read them a million times. It had been a while so I was able to sit back and enjoy the movie. One more thing...who wouldn't want a man like Edward-fictional or not?

Nicole said...

LOL....I really liked the movie. I am like you I don't understand why people think Edward is so great.

I read Twlight and New Moon while Tyce was in the NICU, so they are kinds special for me. They were my comfort and helped my keep my mind of the monitors going off constantly.

I did not like Breaking Dawn all that much either, but it is worth reading to have closure!!

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is I am disappointed I saw TWO typo's in your blog....

The Wright Family said...

Good to see that you finally joined the world of Twilight.
I am copmletely on board with your sentiments about the movie and the lack of character development, the cheesey lines and music and I had a hard time stayin in my seat with Bella's continued breathing problems in the movie. My brother and I would like to work on the next screen play. How are you?

Anonymous said...

baaaaaaa